Herb crusted pan seared chicken thighs make a quick, flavorful dinner that the entire family will enjoy! Made with a quick homemade dry rub of seasonings like thyme, rosemary and garlic powder, pan seared chicken thighs have a crisp outer skin and tender meat inside. These chicken thighs are a favorite weeknight dinner for any time of year.
When my husband and I first got married, we had a pretty boring set of dinner options that we made all the time. Growing up we ate a lot of chicken but everyone in my family much preferred white meat to dark meat. So when we first got married we made a lot of baked chicken breasts that were okay but never all that exciting to me.
Luckily five years of marriage and experimenting with cooking has helped me try all kinds of new dishes. Over the last year or so, I’ve really come to cooking chicken thighs. It used to intimidate me making them because I wasn’t sure I’d cook them fully or that I wouldn’t like them.
But as it turns out, when you have the right tools (like a simple meat thermometer) cooking bone in chicken really isn’t that difficult at all.
Baking bone in chicken is a fine solution, but I’ve found that pan searing allows for a crisp skin on the outside and perfectly tender meat inside. Pan searing also cooks the chicken more quickly, without drying it out.
The technique on these pan seared chicken thighs may be new for me, but the seasonings I used to help create that crispy outer skin are not new at all. I have a bit of a thing for using thyme (also used on the recipe for apple pan seared pork tenderloin) and adding rosemary and garlic powder to the mix seemed like a natural choice.
These pan seared chicken thighs go perfectly with so many sides, like garlic brown butter green beans, goat cheese drop biscuits or slow cooker creamed corn. Are you usually a white or dark meat fan when it comes to chicken? If you haven’t experimented with bone in chicken thighs on the stove before, you definitely have to try it!
Scroll down to learn how to make these herb crusted pan seared chicken thighs!
Herb crusted pan seared chicken thighs
- 1 lb skin on bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pat chicken thighs dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken with spice blend.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat extra virgin olive oil on medium heat.
- Sear chicken in pan and cook for about 3 minutes until skin has browned. Flip chicken and repeat on other side.
- After both sides are browned, place lid on pan and cook for about 15 minutes. Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Continue cooking if needed until internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Boneless chicken thighs can be substituted but cooking time will vary. Be sure to check temperature with an instant read meat thermometer.