These double lemon cupcakes with buttercream frosting are perfectly tart and sweet and will be a hit at your next get together or just because!
I have a bit of an obsession with lemon desserts. I think it started when we went to a bakery in Greensboro that served a lemon layer cake that was the most delicious dessert I had ever had. Ever since, I love lemon bars, lemon cakes, all the lemon desserts.
So when I had to come up with a dessert for our housewarming party I knew I had to try to make my own lemon dessert. Originally I thought about doing a filled lemon cupcake, but for the sake of simplicity (something that’s really important when you’re planning a party), I opted for a simple double lemon cupcake with buttercream frosting.
The result was quite effective. I made about two dozen mini cupcakes for our party and not a single one was left at the end of the party. I had so many comments on how good they were that I knew I had to make them for the blog.
The base for the cupcakes is one I’ve use many times, like for these sweet strawberry buttercream cupcakes. I love the batter for these cupcakes because of the sour cream in it. It helps lighten up the cupcakes so they are not too sweet or too dense.
Some lemon desserts have just a hint of lemon but if I am going to make something lemon, I don’t want it to be subtle. I want it to be obviously lemon, but you definitely have to be careful to not let it be too sour. The lemon buttercream really helps to bring it all together and balance the tart and sweetness.
These double lemon cupcake with buttercream frosting make the perfect party dessert and summer just because dessert. If you want them to be less lemon-y, omit the lemon zest from either the batter or the icing and you’ll have a subtle lemon flavor. But obviously I recommend all the lemon zest ????.
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- Optional: Zest from one lemon (or half a lemon for less lemon flavor)
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 c powdered sugar
- 1 T heavy cream
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder).
- Alternate between adding dry ingredients to wet ingredients in stand mixer and whisking in milk slowly.
- Whisk until batter is smooth, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into lined muffin tin, filling cupcake liners about halfway full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cupcake centers bounce back to the touch.
- Allow cupcakes to cool on baking rack.
- Meanwhile, make the butter cream icing.
Lemon Buttercream Icing
- Use a hand mixer to cream butter and vanilla.
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Then add in juice from half a lemon.
- Continue adding powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until icing is thickened.
- Add heavy cream.
- Icing should be smooth but hold its shape fairly well, add more icing if it’s still liquidy.
- Pipe icing onto room temperature cupcakes.
If you’re looking for a perfect lemon dessert, these double lemon cupcakes with buttercream are definitely for you!