Make these light and fresh blueberry chia seed muffins for breakfast this weekend! The chia seeds add a fun texture and the blueberries are the perfect amount of sweetness for this breakfast treat.
Hi everyone! I’m Jenna and I blog over at A Savory Feast. I write about all things food — creative recipes, cooking techniques, foodie road trips and more. Madison is one of my blogging BFF’s, so I was thrilled when she asked me to guest post!
I know Madison has a love for breakfast foods, so today I’m sharing my recipe for Blueberry Chia Seed Muffins. It’s the perfect weekend breakfast! They are simple to make and are delicious but not overly sweet.
Blueberry muffins have been a favorite of mine ever since I was a kid. My mom used to keep boxes of the mix in the house and we would have them on a regular basis. It was probably one of the first things my brothers and I learned to make by ourselves.
There’s just something about muffins for breakfast! It’s such a satisfying dish. Lately I’ve been trying to avoid heavy breakfasts, but I couldn’t resist making these muffins one Saturday morning.
I’m kind of weird about blueberries. I don’t like them by themselves, but they are SO GOOD when they are cooked into a breakfast food. Whether it’s pancakes, french toast, muffins or waffles, I love it.
Chia seeds are a new obsession of mine. Every month I host a recipe challenge on my blog, and last month our ingredient was chia seeds. I’ve been trying to find creative new ways to use them ever since.
Turns out, chia seeds are amazing in muffins! They add a unique texture that I just couldn’t get enough of. Combined with the blueberries, these muffins are sure to be a hit.
One of the best things about muffins is that they are great for an on-the-go meal but feel like a special treat! You can make a batch ahead of time before an early morning road trip or even to surprise your kids before school.
A big thanks to Madison for asking me to guest post today! I’ve had a lot of fun sharing my Blueberry Chia Seed Muffins with all of you. I hope you enjoy them!
Hey! Love this recipe? Check out this recipe for no sugar added blueberry muffins!Print
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups fresh or frozen berries (I used fresh blueberries)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease or line a 12-count muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg and sugar until combined. Add yogurt, coconut oil, honey and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined (be sure not to overmix or you will end up with dense muffins!) The mixture will be thick, similar to cookie dough.
- Gently fold in blueberries and chia seeds.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a tester inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.