In need of a quick but delicious side dish for dinner? This sweet potato kale sauté is perfectly delicious and easy to make. The sweet potatoes are the star of this show, but the red onions, cranberries, kale and a splash of balsamic vinegar make this dish robust in flavor!
If you house looks anything like mine around dinner time, it may be a little bit chaotic.
It’s fairly easy for me to come up with a main course idea for dinner, but often I get stuck when it comes to a side dish.
Easy sides are essential to me since my time is usually spent making some sort of meat for a main course. But I like side dishes that are a bit universal and can used with a variety of entrees, which is why I so often default to a grain like pasta or rice.
This sweet potato kale side dish is one of our new favorites because it’s simple to make but it is no where near lacking in flavor, which I love.
I was inspired to make this sweet potato kale side dish recipe by a frozen side dish I saw while I was browsing Target a while back. Quick side note, if you’ve ever been a skeptic of generic brand items, you seriously have to try all of the Market Pantry (Target’s generic brand) items. Their ice cream is hands down the best I’ve ever had. You’re welcome.
I digress. The microwavable dish had sweet potatoes and kale, which happen to be a flavor combination that I love. So I decided to try to create my own homemade version of this frozen side that I found and here’s what transpired.
This side dish can be pulled together in just a handful of minutes and is packed with flavor and nutrition. My son gobbled up the sweet potatoes and may have even snuck in a few pieces of kale, too. The whole family can enjoy this easy weeknight sweet potato kale side dish that can go with anything from chicken to cast iron steaks.
Recommended Supplies for Balsamic Vinegar Sweet Potato Kale Sauté
Ready to make this recipe? Scroll down for the full recipe! Save this pin for later.
If you’ve made this recipe or you’re thinking about it, I’d love to know! Comment below and leave a rating. Or post a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #jmrecipes!Print
In need of a quick but delicious side dish for dinner? This sweet potato and kale sauté is perfectly delicious and easy to make. The sweet potatoes are the star of this show, but the red onions, cranberries, kale and a splash of balsamic vinegar make this dish robust in flavor!
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large stalks of kale, veins removed and chopped or ripped into 1 in pieces
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil on a frying pan on medium heat
- When oil is hot, add sweet potatoes.
- Sauté sweet potatoes for 3 minutes, with lid on the pan, stirring halfway through.
- Add red onion and continue sautéing for 2 more minutes.
- If sweet potatoes are almost done (able to be pierced with a fork), add kale pieces and cranberries. If not, continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add lid onto pan for another 2 minutes, then drizzle balsamic vinegar over everything and serve immediately.