Alice Through the Looking Glass comes out today and this Asparagus Ricotta Puff Pastry Tart is the perfect way to celebrate. This puff pastry tart is perfect for pretending like you’re a part of a Mad Hatter tea party! These summer friendly ingredients are light and tasty.
I’ll be honest and say that we haven’t seen a movie (together) since our son was born. I’ve never been a huge movie watcher, to be honest. It’s just never been my thing. Even when watching a movie at home, I’m usually scrolling through Pinterest or working while I watch. Part of my distaste with movies these days is how crude they have become. So, I get really excited when fun, family friendly movies come out.
Asparagus Ricotta Puff Pastry Tart
I have loved seeing all of the old Disney movies being revamped into new movies and even sequels. I get excited about being able to watch the originals and remakes of these classics someday with my son! Maybe we will even have our own Mad Hatter style tea party with lots of yummy treats.
I’ve decided one thing though, from now on, anytime I need a “tea party” appetizer, this Asparagus Ricotta Puff Pastry Tart is it. It’s so easy to make (just how I like my recipes) and melts in your mouth. Puff pastry has to be the easiest way to make any dish fancy. It just feels elegant eating puff pastry, doesn’t it?
Throw in some of your great grandmother’s old china and you have a tea party in the making. One thing I love about this tart recipe is that there’s just enough hints of sweetness without it being overly sweet and considered a dessert. The honey olive oil that is brushed onto the crust makes the pastry to die for.
I had a lot of fun setting up these photos and really wanted to be having an actual tea party! I’ve never been a huge fan of tea, but I can certainly appreciate the visual effect of a stunning tea party, like this bridal shower I threw last year!
I seriously wish I had had this recipe for that bridal shower or even my own baby shower last fall. It makes the perfect little appetizer for entertaining. I cut my puff pastry sheet into squares, but you could easily make a whole puff pastry sheet together and then cut it into smaller pieces for serving. It is a bit easier (and less messy) to cut them into appropriate sizes before baking though!
- 1 frozen puff pastry, thawed & cut into 9 squares
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 9 asparagus stalks
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat (or feta) cheese
- zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thaw puff pastry. Cut into 9 square pieces of similar size.
- Cut off bottom 1/4 in of asparagus stalk. Then cut stalk into three pieces. Set aside.
- Combine honey, olive oil, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Use basting brush to brush olive oil mixture onto puff pastry, leaving only a slight edge of pastry without oil.
- Place one spoonful of ricotta on each square and spread ricotta to the slight edge of pastry.
- Place 3 pieces of asparagus onto tart.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top.
- Zest lemon onto each square.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until squares are golden brown and puffing up.
- Serve immediately or reheat later.
I’ve joined with my favorite Blockbuster Bloggers who are also sharing their Alice Through the Looking Glass inspired recipes. Be sure to hop around and check them out!
Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting from Around My Family Table
Chai Latte Cupcakes from Bread Booze Bacon
Pocket Watch Pops from Ashlee Marie
Beginner’s Guide to Tea from Celebrating Family
Queen of Hearts Tomato Tart from A Savory Feast
Asparagus Ricotta Puff Pastry Tart from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies from Feast + West