After making my All American Sugar Cookie Bars again recently, I have been dreaming about what other super patriotic red white and blue desserts I could make for July 4th. Then these berry cupcakes popped into my head.
This cupcake base is my go to for white cupcakes. I’ve used the same base for these double lemon cupcakes and strawberry cupcakes. It’s pretty much fool proof for me at this point. So it was super easy to adapt it for this double berry recipe.
I didn’t want to use strawberries for this recipe– okay, yes, I wanted to, but I knew they’d be too moist for the batter. Adding fresh fruit to baked goods can be really tricky, especially with an already moist cupcake. So that’s why I stuck to blueberries and raspberries. And trust me, the results were not lacking!
I picked up these adorable little star cupcake liners that were just perfect for these patriotic cupcakes. But a regular cupcake mold will do just fine, too!
I always struggle with icing cupcakes. It could possibly be due to the fact that it’s always hot in Arizona and buttercream icings just don’t like to stand up very well. But, I was pretty pleased with how this icing turned out! I was even able to freeze half of the icing for my next batch of cupcakes, whatever that may end up being.
My favorite part of these cupcakes ended up being the contrast of the crisp blueberry and the fluffy cupcake. It was totally unexpected and refreshing! Topping desserts with fresh fruit is my faaaavorite.
Want to know how to make your own Double Berry Patriotic Star Cupcakes? Scroll down for the recipe!
Need an easy and delicious dessert recipe for July 4th? These Double Berry Patriotic Star Cupcakes are fruity, light and perfectly patriotic!
Double Berry Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- 1 tablespoon flour
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Double Berry Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
- Alternate between adding dry ingredients to wet ingredients in stand mixer and whisking in milk slowly.
- Whisk until batter is smooth, do not over mix.
- In a small bowl, toss 1 tablespoon of flower with blueberries and raspberries. Use a spoon to scoop out fruit into mixing bowl, leaving the remaining flour in bowl.
- Gently fold fruit into the batter.
- Pour batter into star shaped cupcake lines or a cupcake lined muffin tin, filling cupcake liners about halfway full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until cupcake centers bounce back to the touch.
- Allow cupcakes to cool on baking rack.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream icing.
- Ice cupcakes once cooled and top with a few blueberries and raspberries.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
Vanilla Buttercream Icing
- Using a hand mixer, whip softened butter in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Add in 1 cup of powdered sugar and continue beating mixture.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add in vanilla, salt and whipping cream. Beat until consistently mixed.
- Use a piping bag and tip or spatula to ice cupcakes.